The Alameda Architectural Preservation Society (AAPS), previously known as the Alameda Victorian Preservation Society (AVPS), was founded in 1972 and incorporated in 1975. The continuing goal of AAPS is to increase public awareness and appreciation of historic architecture in Alameda.
Historian Woody Minor
Bungalow Courts of the Island City
7:00 p.m., October 23, 2016
Immanuel Lutheran Church: 1420 Lafayette Street, Alameda, CA
(Parking available at the corner of Chestnut Street and Santa Clara Avenue.)
Free for AAPS members; $5 for non-members
Bungalow courts—clustered cottages on shared parcels or cul-de-sac streets—first appeared in Alameda in 1910, toward the end of the post-earthquake population boom, and proliferated in the 1920s. They represented a new approach to residential development: a response to the increased demand for housing and rising property values.
Gretchen and Arthur Lipow are the latest AAPS members to receive a plaque for their home, Fargo House. For more information on the AAPS Plaque Program and downloadable brochure and application, please see our Historical Plaque Program page.